EVENTS and NEWS
LXNR is offering you a chance to see and hear Woodcocks and Nightjars again this year. (do not forget the midgie repellent!)
- are on Thursday 18th May and Wednesday 24th May. We meet at Ladycross Quarry gates at 8.30pm.
Booking is essential with Merilyn on 01434 689889.
- are on Wednesday 12th July at 9.30pm and Thursday 10th August at 8.30pm meeting at the quarry gates.
Booking is essential with Joan on 01434 673245
- Colin hopes to do a couple of walks in May (weather/breeding permitting).
You need to ring Merilyn on 01434 689889 to express an interest and get dates.
SEPTEMBER FUNGUS FORAY
- Gordon Simpson will be holding our annual Fungus Foray on the afternoon of Saturday, September 23rd. Why not make a note in your diary.
More about this nearer the time.
NORTHUMBERLAND DAY UPDATE
- Keep a date in your diary free for Northumberland Day, Sunday 28th May, when an evening Community Amusement Tournament is planned to raise funds for the Slaley Commemoration Hall and Ladycross Nature Reserve. SEE THE DETAILS HERE
Robin and Mole
- Colin Jewitt describes an interesting encounter with a smart robin. READ
- We are most grateful to one of our members in the Shire, who once again has donated lots of bird food to the reserve.This is something that is always most welcome at this time of year (see Winter Bird Feeding below).
- Colin Jewitt describes the effect the mild weather is having on mistle thrushes and crossbills. READ
It's a beech mast year
- Colin Jewitt on the link between beech mast and bramblings. READ
Things to look out for in November
- Colin Jewitt on what you might see in and around the reserve this autumn.
A multi-lingual thrush?
- It is worth listening to the language of winter thrushes. READ
New Bird Hide
Our new two-person bird hide is now in place in an elevated position overlooking the big pond. It provides excellent views over the water and also into the reeds and willows surrounding the pond. Click here for booking information
Winter bird feeding
The reserve would again be most grateful for members' support in feeding our birds over the winter. Their favourite seed seems to be "Perkish Winter Warm" which "Down to Earth" in Hexham sell. Poltross, Haltwhistle, are good suppliers of peanuts and niger seed, and will deliver it.
Please contact Joan (01434 673245) or Lara (07765 644453) if you can help.