ICH
HOME LINKS FAMILY HISTORY ARCHIVE LIST

DESCRIPTION and DIRECTORY for CRAKEHALL, from KELLY'S POST OFFICE DIRECTORY of YORKSHIRE, 1857

CRAKEHALL (GREAT and LITTLE) is a township, railway station, and village, in the parish of Bedale, but on the 11th April, 1840, with the townships of Langthorne and part of East Brompton, was made a district parish for ecclesiastical purposes; it is distant three-quarters of a mile north-east from Crakehall station on the Bedale and Leyburn railway, 2 miles west by north-west from Bedale (its post town), 391/2 miles from York, 6 miles from Masham, 10 from Middleham, 91/2 from Northallerton, 10 from Richmond, 9 from Leyburn and 2301/2 from London; it is in the wapentake of Hang east, North Riding, Bedale union, Richmond archdeaconry, Ripon bishopric, York archbishopric, and situated on a small brook which flows 3 miles east-by-south-east below Bedale into the river Swale. The village is most delightfully situated, forming a square on the sides of a very extensive green, finely ornamented with lofty trees. On the east side is the mansion and residence of James Pulleine, Esq. In 1840, the new church of St Gregory was erected on the green; it was built by subscriptions and a grant from the Incorporated Society for buiolding Churches and Chapels; it is a neat and substantial stone building in the Gothic style of architecture, and has a turret with 2 bells, and a south porch. The interior consists of nave, chancel, and font. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth 100 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the rector of Bedale for the time being; the Rev. Thomas Rudd Ibbotson is the incumbent. In 1842, a residence was erected for the clergyman. The National School, a brick building, erected in 1852, with residence for master, was built by subscription and a small grant from the national and the Ripon Diocesan Education Societies. The present number on the books is forty-six. There is a Wesleyan chapel, which was built in 1839. The soil is strong gravel and loam; the crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and beans. The area of the district parish of Crakehall is 1,752 acres; and the population, in 1851, was 735. The area of the township is 752 acres; and the population 590. James Pulleine, Esq., is lord of the manor. Crakehall (Little) is a township of Crakehall and is only separated from it by a small rivulet. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, which was erected in 1855.

GREAT CRAKEHALL

Private Residents

Braithwaite, Mr. Philip
Cannon, Mr. Thomas
Clarkson, Mr. Christopher
Ibbotson, Re. Thomas Rudd, B.A., Parsonage House
Pulleine, james, esq. [JP and deputy lieutenant], Crakehall hall
Sherwood, Henry, esq. Kirkbridge
Turner, Miss


Commercial

Braithwaite Philip, jun. cabinet maker & joiner
Cannon Christopher, grocer and butcher
Carter Francis, tailor
Castling William, farmer, West Pasture
Coe John, stationmaster
Dixon Edmund, farmer
Dobson Henry, mason and bricklayer
Dodsworth Elizabeth (Miss), dressmaker
Eden Thomas, tailor
Fishburn William, farmer, Ings
Fryer John, farmer, Crakehall Ings
Gale John, farmer
Harker Jarvis, Bay Horse
Hay Elizabeth (Mrs), dressmaker
Heugh Sarah (Mrs), farmer, Mudfield
Holmer Thomas, cattle dealer and farmer
Jackson Jonathan, greengrocer, Kirkbridge
Langstaff John, corn dealer, Kirkbridge
Linskill Mark, postmaster
Loadman Joseph, farmer, Crate house [sic, for Cote House]
Matson Jefferey, farmer
Metcalfe Richard, farmer, Scrogg House
Millen Anthony, shopkeeper and wheelwright
Musgrove Fanny (Miss), dressmaker
Pallister Thomas, shoemaker
Race Byers, miller, Kirkbridge Mill
Reynolds Jane (Mrs), shopkeeper
Sadler Robert, shoemaker
Sadler Thomas, shoemaker
Scurrah William, blacksmith
Sherwood Edwin, farmer, Kirkbridge
Smith James, brick and tile maker
Stapleton John, millwright
Stapleton Thomas, tailor
Stephenson Henry, grocer and draper
Tattersall Thomas, farmer, Low Scrogg house
Taylor William, farmer
Webster William and Henry, rope and string makers
Woodhouse Robert, Black Horse
Wright James, beer retailer and seedsman


LITTLE CRAKEHALL


Private Residents

Pickard Mrs
Sadler Mrs Elizabeth


Commercial

Blades John, blacksmith
Braithwaite John, miller
Braithwaite Stephen, butcher and farmer
Braithwaite Thomas, grocer and wheelwright
Brown John, coal dealer
Eden Arabella (Miss), day school
Fawvill Leonard, farmer Hunter Hill
Hall Proctor and Stephen, blacksmiths
Harland George, greengrocer
Heugh William, miller
Hobson John, farmer
Hombler Joseph, shoemaker
Hudson Henry, cattle dealer
Hudson Isaac, farmer Grange
Jackson Elizabeth (Miss) , dressmaker
Kirkby John, farmer Buttry House
Middleton Charles, mason
Pattison John, butcher
Pattison Mary (Miss), dressmaker
Pattison Robert, shoemaker
Pattison William, shopkeeper & corn factor
Rimer Matthew, farmer and parish clerk
Sadler Martha (Mrs), Malt Shovel and maltster
Sadler William, shoemaker
Sedgwick Robert and Luke, joiners and wheelwrights
Wilson Robert, farmer/P>

Post Office, Crakehall - Mark Linskill receiver. Letters arrive from Bedale at 1/2 past 7 am; dispatched at 1/4 to 6 pm. The nearest money order office is Bedale.

Places of Worship -
St Gregory's Church , Rev. Thomas Rudd Ibbotson, BA, incumbent.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Little Crakehall.

National School, Hugh Fulton, master.
Bedale & Leyburn Railway, Crakehall, John Coe, station master.

top

All the text and images on this site are Ian Hancock 2005.

back to previous page