|HOME||LINKS||FAMILY HISTORY||ARCHIVE LIST|
Crakehall Parish. Wapentake and petty sessional Division of East Hang; Electoral Division and Poor Law Union of Bedale; County Court District of Northallerton; Rural deaner of East catterick; Archdeaconry of Richmond, Ripon Diocese.
This parish was formed by an Order in Council of 11 April, 1840, and comprises the townships of Crakehall and Langthorne, formerly under the jurisdiction of Bedale, and part of east Brompton in Patrick Brompton. The total area is 3304 acres and the population according to the last census is 693. The surface is level, the soil loamy in some places, gravel in others, and the principal crops, wheat, oats, barley and turnips. In the township of Crakehall there are 1739 acres of land under assessment, which are valued for rating purposes at ¬£3335. In 1881 there were 484 inhabitants.
Crakehall, Crachell in Domesday Book, gave name to a family who were probably its early owners. The manor subsequently passes through various families to the Pulleines, by whom it was purchased in 1810, and is now the property of Sir John Clayton Cowell KCB, in right of his wife Georgina Elizabeth, only child of the late James Pulleine Esq. of Clifton Castle and Crakehall. The following have estates in the township, viz: trustees of the late James Robson, Sir Charles Dodsworth Bt. of Thornton Watlass, Lord Yarborough, Sir Henry Beresford Peirse Bt. of Bedale Hall and Mr Black of London. The village is delightfully situated on the banks of a small brook, 2 miles W by N of Bedale and about a half mile N of Crakehall Station on the Northallerton to hawes branch of the North Eastern Railway. The houses are ranged round a spacious quadrangular green, which is ornamented with lofty trees. The beck divides the village into Great and Little Crakehall.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Gregory, stands on the green and was built in 1839 at a cost of about ¬£1000 raised chiefly by subscription. It is a plain but substantial Gothic building, consisting of a nave, chancel, porch and a bell turret containing two bells. The walls are almost hidden beneath a covering of ivy. The living is a vicarage worth ¬£298 a year in the gift of Sir henry beresford peirse, and held by the Rev. Thomas Melville Raven MA, FRSE and surrogate. The vicarage house is a neat stone building erected in 1842 and considerably enlarged in 1887 by Mr Raven. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village erected in 1839, and the Primitive Methodists have one in Little Crakehall built in 1855.
The National School with the master's residence is a brick structure built by subscription in 1852 for 100 children. It is supported by school fees, government grant and a voluntary rate of 3d in the pound contributed by the owners of property. There is an average attendance of 70 children (mixed) under the mastership of Mr W.C. Powell Smith.
On the east side of the village is Crakehall hall, residence of Mrs Garrett, gentlewoman, and Lt. Col.T.H. Heaton Garrett.
Post Office at J. Nicholson's. Letters arrive via Bedale at 7.30 am and are despatched Summer 5.45 pm, Winter 4.45pm. No Sunday business.
Residents in Little Crakehall
Grace Allison - dressmaker
John Brown - carter
Robt. Robinson Hudson - farmer (manager)
Thomas Hutchinson - joiner and cartwright
Christopher Banks Jameson - grocer etc.
Albert Jones - shoemaker
John Lawson - butcher
Robt. Lockey - sheep doctor
Matthew Mudd - blacksmith
Charles E. Pullen gent - Vincent House
L. Lonsdale Sedgwick - joiner and wheelwright
John Smith - carpenter
Robert Thompson - mole catcher and property owner
Thomas Thompson sen. - mole catcher and property owner
John Tindale - victualler and butcher, Malt Shovel
Residents in Great Crakehall
Elizabeth Barrett - shopkeeper
James Bate - beerhouse keeper, Railway Inn
J. Bott - pick and hammer shaft manufacturer, sawmills
Mrs Mary Ann Crow
Henry Dinsdale - victualer and farmer, Black Horse
Mrs Ann Garrett - gentlewoman, The Hall
Lt.Col. T.H.H. Garrett - The Hall
Mrs Martha Graham - Crown Inn
Mrs Mary Harrison
Thomas Hobson - cowkeeper
Rev. William Parker Jones, BA - curate
T. Kettlewell - stationmaster
Mrs E. Langstaff - cowkeeper - Kirkbridge cottages
Francis Lawson - pig dealer
James Linskill - gamekeeper
Robert Lockey - victualer, Bay Horse
Robinson Morton - grocer, black and whitesmith
Joseph Nicholson - shoemaker and Post Office
John Pinkney sen.
John Pinkney jun. - sheep doctor and grocer
Peter Pratt - tailor
Rev. Thomas Melville Raven - vicar
Capt. H. Robson - late 12th Suffolk Regiment
John Scott - surveyor to Hang East
W. C. P. Smith - schoolmaster
Robert Stephenson - stonemason and builder
Thomas Topham - cowkeeper
Thomas Blooman - and butcher
William Chapman - High Scrogg
John Douthwaite - West Pasture
John Heugh - Mudfields
John Hobson - and cornmiller and steam thrashing machine owner, Low Mill
John William Hudson and Mrs Matilda Hudson - the Grange
Richard Kettlewell - Ings Farm, Kirkbridge
Thomas Lawson - Little Crakehall
John Leake - Home Farm
Robert Leake - Rose Cottage
Miss Jane Loadman - Mirefold
William Loadman - Cote House
John Metcalfe - Low Scrogg
Benjamin Newsome - Burtree House
Alex. R. Ralston - Hunters Hill, home Holly Moor
Edwin Sherwood - and reaping machine manufacturer, Kirkbridge
John Simpson - and miller, High Mill
Miss Ellen Spence - Greengate
Michael Wain - Kirkbridge
GO TO TOP